Fashion for Finding Adventure—Without Going Far From Home
Wisdom tells us we never have to go far to find adventure. All it takes to find adventure is being adventurous. It’s an attitude of being open to possibilities. A state of mind we can inhabit—or at least visit from time to time. And to get there, we can begin by dressing the part, with tassels, colors, stripes and textures that express our multiplicities.
Explore Lake Roland
1000 Lakeside Drive, Baltimore, MD 21210
Tucked into the surrounding communities of Ruxton and Roland Park, Lake Roland remains a wonderful secret to many. The park consists of over 500 acres of forests, meadows, wetlands, streams, a lake and globally rare serpentine barrens. In addition, the park is steeped in history. The park sits in two different historic districts and has many historic structures, including a Greek Revival pump house, dam and structures from the Baltimore & Susquehanna Railroad.
- Women’s Hybrid Hiker Tights in TNF Black, The North Face, $80
- Return to Tiffany Love Square Sunglasses, Tiffany & Co, $310
- Paloma Picasso Olive Leaf Vine Pendant in 18-karat gold, Tiffany & Co., $775
Trek the Trails of Rocks State Park
3318 Rocks Chrome Hill Road, Jarrettsville, MD 21084
Perhaps the most popular feature of Rocks State Park is The King and Queen Seat. Rising 190 feet above Deer Creek, the soaring natural rock outcrop provides a breathtaking view, as well as a challenge to the skilled climber. There are many vertical rock faces on the outcrop, some of which are as high as 94 feet. If you’re an experienced climber, you already know what you’ll be wearing. Novice climbers are encouraged to seek professional training before attempting to climb the King and Queen Seat. Or, forgo the climb and hike the 3.5 miles of trails, instead. Cool off with a dip in Deer Creek.
- Zendo Pants in Pewter by Outdoor Research, REI, $85
- Under Armour Twist T-Shirt in Pink Shock, Macy’s, $34.99
- Women’s Ultra Gore-Tex Surround hiking shoes in Dark Gull Grey/Agate Green, The North Face, $180
- Tory Burch TY6048 shades in Gold/Gold, Sunglass Hut, $150
- Convertible Belt Bag in LeStripe Travel by LeSportsac, Macy’s, $60
- Tassel Necklace in Gold Multi by Canvas Jewelry, Nordstrom, $24
Go Stargazing at the Maryland Science Center
601 Light St. Baltimore, MD 21230
See the moon, planets and stars through the Maryland Science Center’s historic telescope. Located on the building’s roof, the observatory is open to the public for stargazing every Friday night, weather permitting. Friday admission to the Observatory is free but call in advance after 5 p.m. on Fridays just to make sure the observatory will be open that night. Enter through the Key Highway entrance around the back of the building. The observatory is open-air, so a lightweight jacket is perfect for protection from the harbor breeze.
- Sleeveless Midi Dress in Black/Cream Stripe, Johnston & Murphy, $118
- Frame Silk Scarf by Johnny Was, Nordstrom, $100
- Sloane Slipper in Taupe Italian Kid Suede, Johnston & Murphy, $188
- Two-Pack Beaded Tassel Bracelets in Vintage Gold, Madewell, $18
Get Groovin’ in the Grass at Ladew Topiary Gardens
3535 Jarrettsville Pike, Monkton, MD 21111
This community-favorite concert series takes place every Sunday throughout the summer at these fanciful and elegant gardens. For the 2017 season, June 18 through August 6, concerts will be held in the Great Bowl from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tickets are available at the door and admission includes the gardens. Ladew members, $7; adults, $15; seniors 62 and up and students $13; children 12 and under, $5; and children under 2 are free. Bring a picnic or have dinner at the Ladew Cafe.
- Catalunya Tassel Wrap by Steve Madden in Black, Nordstrom, $34
- Cici Sandal in Blue/Gold Leather by Jack Rogers, Nordstrom, $137.95
- Erika Metal shades by Ray-Ban in Gold Matte/Brown, from the Gradient Collection, Sunglass Hut, $160
- Beaded Tassel Earrings in Gold, J.Crew, $65